I had forgotten about this lovely part of breast feeding. I assumed I was good this time because my baby is actually eating off the breast (as opposed to last time when I exclusively pumped and got clogged milk ducts constantly) and so far I had been good. No longer...
I am not sure if it is the fact that my baby went 8 1/2 hours last night, or that I am unbelievably stressed, or what. But I need to get this thing resolved before it turns into the dreaded mastitis.
So I am doing all the tricks that I read about on the internet last night at 3:45 during one of my many pumping sessions. I am:
- Nursing, nursing, and nursing some more
- Always starting The Girl out on the side with the clogged duct and then moving her to the other side to hopefully fulfill her (does this mess with the supply of the "good" boob?)
- Pumping after each time she eats on the evil side
- Massaging the hell out of the hard lump that used to be my soft breast
- Warm compresses
- Trying different positions including the one where my baby's chin faces toward the clogged area (she looked at me in the middle of the night like I was nuts when I was crouched over her on all fours and then when I turned her upside down and she was facing my stomach and kicking my face...)
- Hot, hot shower followed by immediate pumping and massaging of the area while doing this
- Obviously not going more than 2 or 3 hours without her nursing or pumping on this side