Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mommy Night Out


While all of the fabulous women that I read on a daily basis get on planes and fly to congregate in our fair city for BlogHer, I am reminded how lucky I am that I get to live here all the time.  While I would have loved to attend the conference and hear some of these amazing women speak, I had to "settle" for a night out in the city with my best gay boyfriend.

When I was growing up, I loved to dance.  I took dance classes from the time I was 3 until the time I was 17.  Because of this my parents took me to see plays in San Francisco from time to time.  By far, my favorite was always A Chorus Line .  Last night I got a chance to head up to the city and see it for the fourth time.  While I realize this isn't as exciting as attending BlogHer, it was exciting for me nonetheless.  I sang along with all the songs and remembered how when I was little, I was convinced that I was going to be a professional dancer and therefore be living the life of those actors on the stage who desperately want to get that dancing job.  Now, at 33 years old and a self employed bookkeeper, I am about as far away from a dancer as one could get.  But for one night I can pretend and let myself enjoy those childhood emotions and excitements.

I am constantly stressed about the financial aspect of my life and wanting to continue to be able to stay in my house.  Part of why this is so difficult is that I happen to live in one of the most expensive places in the country.  However I am pretty damn lucky to live where I do.  The fact that I can hop in the car and drive for 45 minutes and be in one of the biggest cities in the US, and then also turn around and drive 45 minutes in the other direction and be at the beach, and then also drive a couple of hours and be at my cabin in the mountains is one of the main reasons why it is so expensive to live in the Bay Area.  But nights like last night make it worth it.  I got to leave The Boy with Ex and take off for a night out in the Big City.  And let me tell you, I don't do this often.  So while I pushed through the crowds and fought for parking with all the other people in Union Square last night, I also got to hop in my car at the end of the night and drive home and sleep soundly in my bed.  That's a pretty magnificent thing.

Here's hoping everyone out there at BlogHer is enjoying San Francisco as much as I do.  Pictured above, my swag from the theater last night.  I was going to try and snap a picture with my iphone while walking the streets, but somehow it seems wrong to whip out the camera and snap pictures with all the other tourists when this is actually my home.  So you get the day after swag instead.  Hope you all had a wonderful weekend as well.

No comments: