Monday, December 22, 2008

He Strikes Again!

So remember my client that famously said that the gays belong in the cages with the chickens?  Well I had a little "chat" with him again today.  Today it wasn't nearly so offensive, but man, does this guy know how to create an awkward situation...

So today he was horribly sick.  It will be a minor miracle if I managed to get out of there without catching his funk.  But I digress...  Anyway he was saying that he sure hopes he doesn't get me sick.  He then joked that I wouldn't even be able to take any medication due to "my condition."  Ummm...yeah, you're right.  So then he asks me when my due date is.  I told him followed by the obligatory "it will most likely be before that based on my having a c-section..."  He then stops the conversation and says, "So...is the father of this kid a nice guy?"

(No, he's a complete asshole, but I thought it would be fun to sleep with him just for kicks...)

I answered, "Yes, he is a very nice guy."  Totally true, by the way.  He is a fabulous guy and for the total of about 2 hours that I have spent with him, I have enjoyed every moment.  Haven't lied yet...

He proceeds with, "Well are you going to marry him?"  I wish I could paint a picture of this late 50's, early 60's guy with white hair and a red nose (because of the sickness) glaring at me, just daring me to say the wrong thing.  Well, nothing that is going to come out of my mouth at this point is going to be the "right thing," so I answered.

"Nope.  Hadn't planned on it."  Still not lying...

"Well for God's sake, why not?!?!?" he says with the disbelief dripping from his every word.

"For starters, I am not in love with him..."  Look on his face says that that is certainly NOT a good enough reason and also leads him down the path of well if you're not in love with him then you CERTAINLY shouldn't have been sleeping with him...you must be some sort of slut...  So to try and make it go away I continued...

"Sometimes things happen that are out of our control," okay I am full-blown totally lying now.  So much for my "controlled responses."  I continued on, "And when they do you just have to smile and go forward and make the best out of the situation."

I have to add that it makes me sick to somehow infer that this child was a "whoops" child.  Add that onto the fact that to have a whoops child, one needs to be A) straight, and B) having sex.  Neither of those things apply to me.  And I pictured sitting in my doctor's office on Friday, finding out that I am having a beautiful daughter and that (knock on wood) she looks perfect and healthy and it made me a little bit nauseous to imply that she was not fought for and desired and totally meant to be and SUCH a blessing to actually be here...

He furrowed his brow and muttered, "Interesting concept..." and looked down.  I immediately changed the subject and we moved on.

This is such a hard thing for me.  First of all, I honestly do think that this is a good guy, a genuine guy who has worked really hard in life to get where he is.  Secondly, like I have said many times before on this blog, I honestly believe that everyone has a right to their own opinions and beliefs.  If you take away the HUGE difference in our political opinions and beliefs, this client and I get along great.  Add to that the fact that I had just delivered him a card and some holiday chocolates to which he responded by writing me a Christmas bonus check and it just makes the waters all murky.   If we don't speak of anything personal then we get along fine, but man, you try and talk about ANYTHING outside of his finances and things get so...awkward!!  I don't like lying about who/what I am, but I also know that the truth of my situation would undoubtedly cast such a weird shadow over our working relationship that it would most likely cease.  And like I said, this is an easy client, literally 5 minutes from my house and if you take away political and social differences, he is the perfect client.  So it leaves me in a situation where I try and make the best of these awkward incidences and move on to the next discussion about that bank reconciliation...

1 comment:

AuntFancy said...

Hmm, that's a tough situation! Might be time to tell him that you'd prefer to keep your conversations on a professional level, and not discuss your personal life. Just my two cents!