Saturday, June 20, 2009

Two Months Old


My little Peanut is two months old. I can't believe it. In some ways it feels like she has been here forever and in other ways it feels like she just came home from the hospital yesterday.

I would say that going from month one to month two has been quite challenging. Overall I think the 6 week mark is one of the toughest of the newborn phase. They are no longer just sleeping balls of babyness that wake up to eat and then go right back to sleep. But they also can't yet focus on anything or really do anything that hold their attention. Plus, if you have a colicky baby, supposedly they peak at 6 weeks.

We are lucky in that she isn't a colicky girl. But that doesn't mean she isn't fussy. Her fussy time is usually around 6:00pm until midnight. I swear she has a sensor that knows exactly when it is that I pick up my fork to eat dinner. Every single night. That is when she usually starts her "fussy time."

Look at how cute and SLEEPY she was at this time last month:

Such a sweet bundle... However this is how she spent a good portion of her last month:
Charming isn't she? But seriously...she IS fussy but the good news is that she can always be calmed down. I have never had a situation where I am walking a screaming child around the house trying to figure out how to make her stop crying. I can (so far) always make her stop. Little Peanut LOVES to be held. If she is being held, generally she is fine. Sit with her in the rocking chair? Even better. Loves it. And isn't partial to who is holding her either. Any warm body with do. But at the end of the day when all those warm bodies go home and it is just me, The Boy and her...well that's when things get a little rocky.

I think that pretty much every single night when I am putting The Boy to bed, she is screaming. I brush his teeth and read his books and sing him his songs...all with a background noise of child screaming. Like dinner time, I swear she knows. And as soon as I come out there and pick her up, she is fine.

But to combat the fussiness, we have also in the past couple of weeks developed our smile. So freaking cute I could die. She puts that smile on, and I will give her the world. And have you seen the size of those cheeks? Seriously...when she manages to heft those chunky cheeks in the upward direction to give you a smile, well it is the most beautiful sight in the world. She has also started to make this adorable grunting noise when she is sitting on my lap ready to eat. She sees that boob and focuses in on it and makes the cutest noises waiting for the luscious treat to be put into her mouth. And she does like to eat. Yes she does. In fact that is one of the first things people say when they see her. Something along the lines of, "Wow. That baby doesn't skip many meals, does she?" I don't know what they mean. I think she is perfectly petite... Check out those cheeks for yourself...
I seriously munch on those cheeks all day long. I mean how can you not? Look at them. They are practically begging to be eaten...NOM NOM NOM...

She has also gotten much better at sleeping lately. For a while it was a completely different situation every single night. Some nights she ended up in the bassinet, while other nights she was in her crib, or in the swing, or in bed with me...I never knew what was going to happen. I just took it night by night and whatever ended up working was where she ended up.

Lately we seem to be getting into a routine. (Knock on wood...please don't make this go away since I mentioned it...). I take her back to her room around 10:00pm and change her diaper, put her in her sleep sack and then nurse her. After that I take her into her room and turn on the white noise machine and rock her in my arms for about 5 - 10 minutes or until I can tell she is good and tired. Then I put her in the swing and shut the door (monitor on, of course). She will sleep anywhere between 5 to 7 hours usually. Then she gets up and nurses and goes back to sleep for another three hours or so in bed with me. For 8 weeks old, I think this is pretty fabulous. Of course now that I detailed it, all will change tonight and we will start something new. Such is the life with a new baby.

Today was her 2 month appointment and she got 4 shots. It is going to be a long night and long day tomorrow my poor Peanut. But other than that, she was deemed "perfect." Here are her stats: She weighs 11 pounds 10 ounces, which is between the 50th and 75th percentile. She is 22 inches long, which is in the 50th percentile. Her head is 39 centimeters long which is the 50th percentile. She she is pretty standard. Right down the middle on everything.

I cannot imagine my life without her. She was meant to be a part of our little family. She is a great baby who makes my life so much more complete than I ever thought possible. I honestly am enjoying every day I get to spend with her. I love you my little Peanut. Happy two month birthday!

No comments: