Friday, January 29, 2010

Blogging from Hawaii, Day 2

We are on day two of our vacation. Yesterday was the travel day and it went relatively smoothly. Well as smoothly as it can go when you are trying to get through an airport and security with 4 adults, two small children, two strollers, two car seats, 5 checked bags and like 8 pieces of carry-on stuff. It was a little insane, but we made it here safely.

The Boy is SO happy. He was such a good boy (actually they both were) on the plane and getting to the hotel. All he wanted to do was get to the PX and buy some sand toys and go to the beach. So after a small snack, that is the first thing we did. He couldn't have been happier. We unpacked and got ourselves settled and went down to dinner. That was around 6:00 Hawaii time,which was about 8:00pm for us.

This, I believe, is where I made my crucial mistake. I should not have gone to dinner. I should have sent them all away, nursed The Girl, and put her to bed. But I didn't. I brought her down to dinner with us and she slept for a little while in the stroller and then coughed and woke up and screamed. I gave her some food and aborted dinner to try and get her back up to the hotel room and to sleep.

Did. Not. Happen.

I think she got over tired and then simply couldn't fall asleep. And when she did, she was up 5 minutes later screaming. I started her in her crib. Then after 20 minutes or so of screaming (sorry other guests of the hotel--at least it was early), I brought her to bed with me and nursed her to sleep. She fell asleep, but only for about 20 minutes. And each time she woke up and didn't know where she was or what was going on it pissed her off more. She screamed like I have not heard her scream in a LONG time. It reminded me of the newborn days because she was crying even when I was holding her. I tried rocking, I tried shushing, I tried the stroller, I tried it all. Each time she would fall asleep for a few minutes and then wake up even more pissed. Finally at about 11:30pm Hawaii time (so 1:30am my time) I gave up and put her down next to me in the bed and let her "cry it out." There was nothing left to do. She cried for about 10 minutes and then passed out. Only to continue to wake up about every hour during the night. I nursed her every three hours or so, and kept having to jump from one side of the bed to the other to try and stop her from rolling off. And once she would fall back to sleep I was paranoid to move. So if I didn't have covers over me, or if I needed stuff for my lips (I have her cold and had to breathe out of my mouth so my lips were ridiculously dry), or had to pee, well I was paranoid to do any of it.

Needless to say, it was not a restful 5 hours of sleep. Why only 5 hours you ask? Well she was up for the day at 5:10am. Just up. Not screaming anymore, but up and crawling around and chatting and POOPING and...well just up. I finally got out of bed and took her to the bathroom to change her at 6:00am when my mom popped her head into my room.

We have two adjoining rooms and last night my mom and step dad slept in one room in one bed with The Boy sleeping in the other bed in their room. My grandmother and I each slept in one of the beds in the other room with The Girl in a "crib" (more like a baby jail) until she ended up in bed with me.

"Are you guys awake?" My mom asked?

"Um yeah...I am not sure we ever slept." I answered.

"Oh good because your son has been up since 4:00am."

So apparently The Boy woke up at 4:00am with a huge sneeze and couldn't go back to sleep. He officially has his sister's funk (so do I for the record) and was also "just up." So my mom was up with him from that point on. But he was good as gold. He just snuggled in bed and watched his iTouch and hung out. He's such a good boy.

So that has been our vacation thus far. I am hoping that today will be a better day and The Girl can figure out this whole sleep thing. I will say that as of right now, she has been asleep for 2 hours, IN HER CRIB, for her morning nap so that is definitely a good sign. But damn, am I tired.

It's only 9:30am and I swear it feels like around 3:00pm.

Aloha!

1 comment:

cmay said...

Oh my. I hope the kids get better at their routines and sleeping!
Got benedryl?
I know today will be better than yesterday.
Have a great time!