Monday, September 29, 2008

A Sad Weekend

Even I am getting sick of my posts where I don't do anything but whine about how miserable I am feeling and all the sad crap going on right now, so I have been sorta quiet lately. This will be a quick post to catch up and then I promise that my future posts will be more light hearted and fun.

Thursday night was my final couples counseling with The Ex. It was tough. Again, I won't go into the details here but let's just say that she walked out halfway through the session. So it was a tough emotional night for all. I left counseling and went to my mom's house to pick up The Boy. When we got home there was a message on my voicemail. My caller ID said, "United Emergency Services," so I kinda freaked out as I was checking the voicemail. Turns out it was a feline member of my family. My cat Ranger had been hit by a car. He was hit a couple of blocks away and someone had (kindly) taken him to the emergency place. I have an ID chip in them (put in when he was spayed) so they scanned him when he got there and left me a message. I called them back immediately and they wanted me to come right down. I explained that I had a 2 year old in bed (it was 8:15pm at this point) and asked if he was still alive. They told me they don't usually release any information until someone had ID'ed the body (not a good sign) but spared me and put the doctor on the phone. He had been hit and had head trauma. When they brought him in his heart was still going, but there was nothing going on upstairs, so they did the humane thing and euthanized him. So unbelievably sad.

He was only a year and a half old. He was born in February of 2007 and I got him in April of 2007. Ironically, just that afternoon, I had gotten off work a little early and came home to take a nap before couples counseling. He slept with me on my bed during my entire nap. We cuddled. When I left for counseling, I let him out. "Have fun Range, see you later," is what I said to him as I drove away. So while this is quite devastating for me, I have to say that I am SO glad that I had that ID chip put into him. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have known what had happened to him. I would have wondered why he didn't come home and started looking at the pound etc. To have the finality of the phone call helped tremendously. It was a horrible phone call to get, but again, I am so glad to have gotten it. When I adopted him, I also adopted his sister, Lulu. I don't know how cats know these things, but she knew. She followed me around all night (actually all weekend) meowing. She never does that. All weekend long I tried to get myself to post a little RIP Ranger post with his pictures but everytime I thought about it I burst into tears so I didn't.

Between the finality of my final couples counseling and the loss of my cat, not to mention the fact that I still feel horrifically shitty most of the time, it was a rough weekend for me. So like I said, I will leave this post now and hopefully join you back in the future with happier news to report. I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.


AuntFancy said...

Again, I'm soooo sorry about Ranger. He was such a sweet kitty and I feel lucky to have known him.

eggdance said...

I am so sorry about Ranger. And I am really sorry that you are going through this stuff with your ex. I know how hard that is. Take good care of yourself. I'm sending you lots of love.