Tuesday, November 10, 2009

One of the Many Differences Between My Children

So it is time to celebrate another first for The Girl...

Her first illness!!

Yes, she is the lucky recipient of The Boy's funk. She had been sorta sneezing and stuff for a few days but I thought it might be that second tooth that is trying to break through. Then on Sunday night I went in to check on her when she was doing a cry for her Binky and noticed that when I rolled her over onto her back she couldn't breathe. Poor Peanut was all stuffy. She started coughing at about 2:30am and it literally didn't stop until 5:30am. Just when The Boy had started to go an entire night without waking up coughing...she had to take over.

My children have conspired to make sure that I never sleep again.

But she is still the sweetest and cutest version of herself even while sick. On Monday morning I took her brother to school and brought her back home with me. She sneezed and sniffled and dripped out of her eyes and nose and coughed like a smoker, but all the while did it with a smile on her face. I also forgot the difference between babies when they are sick and three-year-olds when they are sick.

Babies sleep.

That's pretty much it. She slept practically all day long. I put her in her room with her humidifier and she slept. And slept and slept.

The Boy? You have to watch a movie with him, and he needs some water, and don't you want to sick and rock him for a while in the rocking chair? And just in case he hadn't told you in four minutes, he has "da bad germs..." And wouldn't you like to read a book? Because he might feel better if he reads a book. Oh, and while you are reading him the book? He will sneeze and cough directly in your face no matter how many times you tell him to please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, cough in your sleeve.

But her? She smiled. And she slept. End of story.

Also, The boy is still coughing. We are on day 10 with him of this illness and he is STILL coughing. The girl? Not so much. She was sick on Monday. And like I said, she slept. A lot. And then Monday night I prepared myself for another night of being up all night long with the cough by going to bed at 9:00pm. And guess what? She didn't make a peep. All night long. She went to bed at 7:30pm and I woke her up to nurse at 6:00am (the boobs really needed some relief and plus, I had to get in the shower) and she went right back to sleep. She slept until I woke her up at 8:00am. And although there have been a few residual sneezes and coughs throughout the day, she is mostly back to her good ole self. Two normal naps today. Eating normally and her nose is no longer stuffed. Of course some of that can be attributed to the fact that she is still exclusively breast fed and is therefore getting my antibodies, but still.

The difference between my children is like I am raising two children from two different planets. And this is proven, yet again, but how they both handled this latest bout with sickness.

No comments: