Monday, October 4, 2010

Lost In A Land Filled With Poop

My cousin (and regular reader of my blog) sent me an email today saying, "Man, you must have had a busy weekend; you didn't even update your blog!" It wasn't so much busy as much as messy! Starting last Monday (which makes today 8 days...not that I'm counting...) my daughter started having runny poops. I know, right? Great conversation...but this is life people. She was perfectly fine except for the runny poops. No fever, still had an appetite, was acting fine, she was just crapping up a storm. It started as we were running out the door of speech therapy last week trying to make it to The Boy's school on time when I noticed that my arm that was holding her felt wet. Ummm...yeah.

I don't need to go into more detail but I will share with you that her sheets were washed 5 times (thank GOD for those fantastic zip off sheets...), her mattress pad was washed 3 times and her bumper pad was washed once. There were more than 10 pairs of pants that I physically stood holding under the sink while scraping off parts of poop with my bare hands and wrung out to be hung to dry or thrown directly into the washer depending on what type of load I was doing. There has been lots and lots of poop in my life over the past week.

I called the pediatrician on day 4 and asked what I was doing wrong, if anything. Nope. Keep doing what you're doing. B.R.A.T. diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast), no milk, no juice and no fruit. That last one was a killer. My daughter eats her weight in fruit each day. She was NOT happy about not being able to enjoy her tasty fruit. Hell, after about the 6th day even I was done with that damn BRAT diet. One can only serve so many bananas and crackers and rice... The doctor said sometimes this stuff lasts up to 2 weeks! And as long as I was keeping her hydrated (she was drinking water; she officially hates Pedia.lite and watered down Gator.ade), then there wasn't much to do.

I think the worst part of it all was the diaper rash. Poor sweetie. That was really bad last week when she was in daycare. Once I got her back on Friday I was able to stay on top of it and it cleared up by the end of the weekend. And guess what? She officially just had her very first formed poop in 8 days. I did a happy dance. And now I will go hide my head in shame that I just did an entire blog on my daughter's poop. Jesus...I have GOT to get out more!

As a prize for sticking through this disgusting post, I give you two pictures of my children enjoying their newest toy. I bought them a bouncy house. And before you go thinking I won the lottery, I was told by my pediatrician that The Boy needed to get some OT. Since OT is about $75 for a half an hour, he suggested that I might buy something like this to encourage his activity level. I found this on sale at Amazon for $200. Can't beat that. And it was SO worth it. They LOVE it and now get outside everyday after school for a while getting some exercise. And I can even set it up and break it down rather easily all by myself. A win for everyone.
Now that I think about it...maybe I should have done a post on the bouncy house instead of poop... Oh well, my life has been all about the poop lately so that's what you get!


AuntFancy said...

They look like they're having so much fun!! Amazon RULES!

Laraf123 said...

Thank you--for two reasons: 1) You reminded me to put the mattress protector on H's new bed. I keep forgetting--but the time to do it is BEFORE he gets sick. And 2) for the cute jumpy house pics. I am actually considering getting this same one for the boys this Christmas. Now I'm a step closer! Hope your baby girl stays on the mend!