Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Little Piggy

When The Girl was born she weighed 7 pounds 12 ounces.  Not too shabby for my little 5 foot 3 inch body.  Not to mention that we were worried she would come too early and be too small.  So I was thrilled when I heard how "chubby" she was.

Then while at the hospital, I didn't supplement her because I was breast feeding so for the first three days of her life she only got my colostrum.  Her pediatrician said he wouldn't be worried as long as she didn't lose more than 10% of her body weight.  Well on the day that we were scheduled to go home from the hospital he was worried.  She had lost a full pound.  I was told that I needed to supplement her after each feeding with at least an ounce of formula (or breast milk).  My milk had finally come in that day (I gave birth on a Monday, and my milk arrived on Thursday morning) so I decided when I got home from the hospital I would pump and have the "toppers" be breast milk as well.  He also wanted to see her back at his office for a weight check in a few days.

So we got home on Thursday the 23rd of April and took her back to the ped's office on Saturday the 25th of April.  When she had left the hospital she was down to 6 pounds, 12 ounces.  That first weigh in on Saturday she was back up to 7 pounds 5 ounces.  A decent gain, but obviously not back up to her birth weight.

Then we went in for her one week appointment on Monday April 27th and she had gained a little more and was back up to 7 pounds 8 ounces.  The doctor was not concerned at all anymore and said I could stop with the "toppers" and just let her eat.  I also didn't have to wake her up at night every 2 to 3 hours.  I could let her go up to 4 hours at night if she wanted.  He said that they wanted to see them back up to their birth weight by 2 weeks old and he was sure she would get there based on the last few checks.  But he told me if I wanted to make sure that I could bring her in anytime during the lunch hour for a weight check.  We were cleared until her one month appointment.

So today we took her in for that weight check.  Monday was her two week birthday so technically she should have been back up to her birth weight by then.  Since she is exclusively breast fed, I honestly have no clue how much she is eating and if she is getting enough.  Her cheeks seem quite chubby and her little thighs looked like they were getting a little hefty, so I wasn't too worried but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get her checked.  And honestly?  I needed a little outing.  So off to the doctor for a weight check we went.

She is two weeks and two days old today.  Her weight?  8 pounds 8 ounces.  Yeah, I would say she is doing just fine.  My little porker.  I am so proud...  Just to show my pride, here is a shot of her little thighs that are beefing up appropriately...

And here is a shot of the look she gives me when she deems it is time for a little boob-age.  The tongue is a helpful hint to Mommy that she would really like a little snack right about now.  But either way, I am thrilled to know that my little peanut is gaining weight and eating like a little champ.  If you read my blog regularly at all, you know that The Boy isn't so good at the eating and gaining weight thing, so I am pretty happy that we are off to such a good start with number 2.  Hope everyone is having a great week!

1 comment:

AuntFancy said...

Awesome, glad to hear it! I LOVE the little tongue that pops out when she's looking for food. Sooo unbelievably cute!